[Haskell-cafe] Slow documentation generation on Hackage

Niemeijer, R.A. r.a.niemeijer at tue.nl
Mon Jun 8 04:10:10 EDT 2009

Hello everyone.

Last night I uploaded my first Hackage library with documentation (StrictBench). I learned that it takes somewhere between 2 and 8 hours for the link to the documentation to become active. This is confusing for first-time package authors (I went to #haskell to ask what I had forgotten) and annoying for everyone (Don Stewart submitted it to reddit shorly after I published it, which kind of wastes the time of everyone who checks it out before the documentation is up). Moreover, there seems to be no reason for it; on your own computer haddock takes just (milli)seconds.

Hence I wanted to ask if this is a bug or if there is a good technical or social reason for it, and whether there is any way around it.

Regards,
Remco Niemeijer