[Haskell-cafe] totally confused about Haskell namespace issue conventions

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Jun 7 05:47:28 EDT 2009

Vasili I. Galchin wrote:
> Hello,
>
>       Should namespace designation be specified in modules or in the
> .cabal file? Or to put it another way should a relative namespace be
> specified in a Haskell module and the remaining "top" part be specified
> in the associated .cabal file? Of course, yes/no answers are probably
> not sufficient ... i.e. please elaborate.

This is my, probably incomplete, understanding of how things work.

The module statement at the top of a Haskell source file should contain the
complete name, e.g.

     module Foo.Bar.Baz

If you use GHC directly to build (e.g. using --make) then it will look for the
module above at $x/Foo/Bar/Baz.hs, where $x is on of the paths where GHC has
been told to look (e.g. using -i).

In a Cabal file you mention the complete names of module you use/build (e.g.
Foo.Bar.Baz above).  Hs-Source-Dirs adds directories to the paths where GHC
looks for modules ($x above).

/M