[Haskell-cafe] Building network package on Windows

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 00:43:12 EDT 2009

Hi,
I have been trying to build the package "network" from hackage
(version 2.2.1.3) on Windows Vista, and I could really use some help.

Building on the command line, or under cygwin completely failed
(command line due to cabal not being able to execute
something---possibly configure---although it would not say; cygwin
first due to lack of gcc, which is tested but, apparently, the outcome
ignored, and after gcc was installed some incompatibility with the
header files which were detected but reported unusable).

I managed to build the library under MinGW with msys without serious
obstacles.  I can also build my package against the result and all is
well.  Unfortunately, if I try to use my package to build an
executable application I get a linker error, reporting a missing
symbol during linking:
C:\Users\diatchki\AppData\Roaming\cabal\network-2.2.1.3\ghc-6.10.3/libHSnetwork-2.2.1.3.a(Socket.o):fake:(.text+0xb014):
undefined reference to `getnameinfo'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Now, "getnameinfo" is present in the header files, and it is also
defined in the library ws2_32.a which is being passed to GHC so I am
not sure what is going on.  Any ideas?  Searching the web suggests
that the problem may be somehow related to the standard calling
conventions but I don't really understand.  Also, if I understand
correctly, this functionality is related to IPv6 support, which I do
not need at the moment, so it would be great if it could be easily
disabled in some way.

Any ideas, suggestion, workarounds, etc. would be greatly appreciated,
-Iavor

PS: I am using GHC 6.10.3