[Haskell-cafe] Pike's Newsqueak talk

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Fri Jun 5 21:14:47 EDT 2009

I just watched http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=810232012617965344

It's a great talk that is suprisingly relevant to Haskell programming
(although at first blush it looks a bit unrelated). (It refs a lot of
older work that actually led me to Haskell in the first place by way of
McIlroy's haskell power-series paper).  Anyway, I thought it would be of
general interest.

A lot of the progrms he discusses are a lot more elegant in pure Haskell
code (ie. prime number sieve, power series), but his language also
supports an interesting imperative primitive that lets you pick the first
available value from a set of channels which isn't available in pure
Haskell expressions.  Has anyone implemented a primitive like this for
Haskell?

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/