[Haskell-cafe] Functors and the Visitor Pattern

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:26:46 EDT 2009

The concepts are fairly closely related but each entails something the other
does not. Functor entails parametric polymorphism with respect to the
contents of the container. And a visitor can extract a result from the
traversal.

As a result you may want to think in terms of a Traversable or Foldable
functor rather than just a Functor. These will let you extract a monadic or
applicative result from your container.

Now, as for your actual question, Applicative functors are really hard to
model in other languages. With C++ templates you can probably get a weak
approximation with something like the encoding used here, possibly mixed
with some boost magic for a usable function type:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/8bx33/a_comparison_of_c_concepts_and_haskell_type/

But I can't think of anyone that would try to use it in production code,
and there are many common idioms that that style of translation can't
account for (i.e. polymorphic recursion).

-Edward Kmett