[Haskell-cafe] Bool as type class to serve EDSLs.

Sebastian Fischer sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Mon Jun 1 06:06:50 EDT 2009

On Jun 1, 2009, at 12:17 AM, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 2009, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
>
>> i use another approach which imho is somewhat closer to
>> interpretation
>> of logical operations in dynamic languages (lua, ruby, perl): [...]
>
> The absence of such interpretations and thus the increased type
> safety was one of the major the reasons for me to move from
> scripting languages to Haskell.

Do you argue that overloading logical operations like this in Haskell
sacrifices type safety? Could programs "go wrong" [1] that use such
abstractions?

[1]: Robin Milner. A theory of type polymorphism in programming. J.
Comput.
Syst. Sci., 17:348–375, 1978.

--
Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
(D.G.)