[Haskell-cafe] why does the binary library require so much memory?

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Fri Jul 31 18:35:47 EDT 2009

At Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:49:03 -0700,
Don Stewart wrote:

> Why don't you use your own instance to serialize IxSet lazily (or
> however you would like?)
>
> There's no reason to be constrained to use the [a] instance.

Well, the Set instance might actually be a better choice. But the Set
instance in Binary uses [a] anyway :) Plus, happstack applications do
also use Set and List in addition to IxSet.

Is this issue with list fixable? If list can't be fixed, then perhaps
Set and IxSet can't be fixed for the same reason. But, I don't really
understand the reason yet.

- jeremy