[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: TypeDirectedNameResolution

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 12:37:02 EDT 2009

Cale Gibbard wrote:
> What do people think of this idea? Personally, it really annoys me
> whenever I'm forced to give explicit module qualifications, and I
> think this would really help. It would also subsume the
> DisambiguateRecordFields extension rather handily.

A disadvantage - and this is not a "No" vote, just a remark - is that
when trying to debug the expression:

foo bar baz quux

if I type ":t bar" I will presumably get an ambiguity error, and I may
have no easy way of working out *which* bar was actually intended in
this line of code.

I don't know how much of a burden this is, but it feels like a burden to
writing/debugging/understanding code.

Jules