[Haskell-cafe] Re: Simple quirk in behavior of `mod`

Thomas ten Cate ttencate at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 05:36:09 EDT 2009

There are two ways of looking at the mod operator (on integers):

1. As a map from the integers Z to Z/pZ.
Then n mod p is defined as:
n mod p = { k | k in Z, k = n + ip for some i in Z }
Instead of the set, we ususally write its smallest nonnegative
element. And yes, in that sense, Z/0Z gives:
n mod 0 = { k | k in Z, k = n } = { k } =~ k

2. As the remainder under division by p.
Since n mod 0 would be the remainder under division by 0, this
correctly gives a division by zero error.

I used to think that the definitions were equivalent... apparently not.

Thomas