[Haskell-cafe] Hackage and version control

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Sun Jul 19 23:25:25 EDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:03:56 +0100
Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Vasili I.
> Galchin<vigalchin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >      It seems to me that Hackage doesn't provide version control,
> > e.g. check out and check in. Am I incorrect?
>
> Hackage is, AFAIU, a repository where _released_ versions of
> libraries/tools/etc related to Haskell can be kept.  It is not fully
> comparable to SourceForge, Github, or any other _source hosting_
> service.
>
> If you are looking for source hosting then take a look at SF, Github,
> Google Code, or something like that.  Then upload _released_ versions
> to Hackage.  IIRC there is also the possibility of having a Darcs repo
> on community.haskell.org.

Yes, and darcs repos can also be hosted on patch-tag.com.
community.haskell.org requires you to wait for a volunteer to review
every new project request. Although, you don't need to make a
project request if you only want a 1-developer repository. And by the
way, it only hosts Haskell-related projects, not arbitrary darcs
repositories.

patch-tag.com doesn't have those constraints.
--
Robin