[Haskell-cafe] RE: Haskell as a first language?

Daniel van den Eijkel dvde at gmx.net
Thu Jul 16 15:42:58 EDT 2009

In an ideal world, Haskell would be a perfect first programming language.

But consider: If someone without any programming background learns
Haskell as first language, she or he might have big problems using any
other language after that. Unlearning what you can do with Haskell is
much harder than unlearning imperative thinking. (I had to learn PHP
after I was used to write in Haskell, and it was no fun) I don't want to
miss the great experience of learning Haskell *after* Scheme (and Scheme
after C), and I would not like to deprieve anybody of such an
experience. Or what should they have for dessert?

I don't know if that's a good argument.

Best regards,
Daniel