[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Zippers on Wikibooks: teasing! :)

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu Jul 16 07:11:17 EDT 2009

Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> After my colleague explained me about zippers and how one could derive the
> datatype using differential rules, I had to read about it.
>
> So I started reading
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell/Zippers#Mechanical_Differentiation
>
> This page contains the sentence:  *"For a systematic construction, we need
> to calculate with types. The basics of structural calculations with types
> are outlined in a separate chapter **Generic
> Programming*<http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=Haskell/Generic_Programming&action=edit&redlink=1>
> * and we will heavily rely on this material"*
> *
> *
> However, the generic programming link does not exist yet :-)

A clear case of laziness on the author's part... wait, that would be me.
:-O In any case, contributions to the wikibook would be most welcome. ;-)

For now, I'd recommend

   Generic Programming: An introduction
   http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~patrikj/poly/afp98/

It's a bit verbose at times, but you only need the first few chapters to
get an idea about polynomial functors (sums and pairs) and  mu .

Regards,
apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com