[Haskell-cafe] homomorphic encryption and monads?

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Wed Jul 15 19:56:38 EDT 2009

I think there may be a problem here.

"Homomorphic encryption is a form of encryption where one can perform a
specific algebraic operation on the plaintext by performing a (possibly
different) algebraic operation on the ciphertext. "

The word "specific" means that the functor is discrete, not continuous.
Only Integer can be encoded. Also, the arrow mapping is partial: fmap
does not accept arbitrary any (a -> b) but only a natural transformation
pair (in,out).

That would make Encryption an indexed arrow, something like

class Arrow a => In a b where
   in :: a b Integer

class Arrow a => Out a c where
   out :: a Integer c

instance (In a b, Out a c) => Arrow a b c where
  arr f = in >>> f >>> out

Dan