[Haskell-cafe] What to say about Haskell?

Patai Gergely patai_gergely at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 14 12:26:43 EDT 2009

> > I would concentrate on the fact that when you use Haskell, you write
> > code that is less prone to errors and bugs. When you write a program
> > in Haskell and it finally compiles, chances are that there are far
> > less bugs than in a program written in another language
>
> the question is how to justify this in 1 hour. technical people don't
> buy such arguments with justification. but if it will be done, it
> would be best presentation possible
That's not really the direction I'd like to take anyway, because as I
said, the primary goal of this talk is not to convince these people to
use Haskell, but to give them an overview that's "more helpful than
reading a book", and it should definitely introduce specific language
features and important patterns besides the general talk. The question
is which topics are noteworthy. But here's some more context for you:

My talk will be the second (there's one every week). The first one will
be a comparison of Prolog and Haskell by an expert of the former (not
surprisingly a rather mathematically minded fellow), and the third one
will be about monads in category theory. Also, the initiator of the
seminars is mostly interested in processing natural languages, so it
might be a good idea to bring up at least one relevant example -- for
instance, the latest post on sigfpe's blog could be nice, but it comes
with too many prerequisites.

Gergely