[Haskell-cafe] Program with profiling runs faster than without

Grigory Sarnitskiy sargrigory at ya.ru
Tue Jul 14 10:07:54 EDT 2009

14.07.09, 15:16, "Malcolm Wallace" <malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk>:

> This is only a guess, but maybe there is a context-qualified CAF-like
> value that is being re-evaluated multiple times in the non-profiling
> case, but is appropriately monomorphised in the profiling case, so it
> is only evaluated once?
> Regards,
>      Malcolm

And I guess you are quite right. I knew there is a poorly optimized place in my program, but I didn't  touch it for some ideological reasons. But this morning I get how to optimize it in an ideological friendly manner, so now without profiling the program ~ 2 times faster. The speed of profiled version hasn't changed, hence I've manually done some work the compiler does during profiling.