[Haskell-cafe] What to say about Haskell?

Cristiano Paris frodo at theshire.org
Tue Jul 14 10:01:14 EDT 2009

2009/7/14 Patai Gergely <patai_gergely at fastmail.fm>:
> Hello all,
>
> I was asked to give a one-hour 'introductory' seminar on Haskell. The
> audience is a bunch of very clever people with a wider than usual
> perspective on programming and mathematics, and my talk should be rather
> informational than evangelistic. Which topics do you think I should
> touch by all means given the short time?

When you create the presentation, please consider the big picture of
Haskell, not only its technological features like laziness,
curryfication, HOF, monadic syntax, type inference, type classes and
so on.

I would concentrate on the fact that when you use Haskell, you write
code that is less prone to errors and bugs. When you write a program
in Haskell and it finally compiles, chances are that there are far
less bugs than in a program written in another language (I'm thinking
about so popular dynamic languages like Python and Ruby): hunting for
"semantic" errors is a significantly shorter task.

This comes directly from the technological features I mentioned above:
they are in the language for a purpose.

My 2 cents.

Cristiano