[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Re: 20 years ago

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Tue Jul 14 06:36:02 EDT 2009

[redirected from haskell@]

Benjamin L.Russell <DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> writes:

>> One often amusing outgrowth of this is that FP (OOP) fanatics anthropomorphize
>> their functions (objects).

Well, I don't think we do.

Functions are just mappings of values to values, they may be opaque,
but they're predictable, unchanging, and just...too boring to be
antropomorphized.

Objects contain all kinds of hidden state and dependencies, and the
sheer unpredicatability of it all is the reason for the
anthropomorphics - it a symptom of a disease, not a desirable
quality.

-k