[Haskell-cafe] Are GADTs what I need?

Chris Eidhof chris at eidhof.nl
Mon Jul 13 11:54:52 EDT 2009

Then you could add a specific constructor for String. The main point
is: the case construct only works for values, not for types. There is
no typecase construct. If you want to have certain restrictions on the
'a', such as the Show class, you could also do something like this:

 > data Value where
 >   VWrapper :: (Show a) => a -> Value

If you could elaborate a bit on what you're trying to accomplish (from
a higher viewpoint) then maybe we can help you   some more.

-chris

>>> Kevin.