[Haskell-cafe] Re: Could C libraries be part of Haskell Platform?

Maurí­cio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 12 19:38:15 EDT 2009

 >> Probably not, but... There are stable and portable libraries
 >> that implement functionality missing in Haskell. It could be
 >> nice to be able to list then in a cabal file (using, say,
 >> pkgconfig-depends) and know for sure that any system with
 >> Haskell Platform will have then available for use with FFI. An
 >> example would be sqlite3.

 > w/o haskell binding it's useless for most of HP users

 > I think we currently address this by including the C libraries
 > with the Haskell bindings (e.g. zlib).

That, of course, would be the goal. Today, it's disappointing to
write bindings, since Hackage won't build them properly (since
the libraries are not installed on hackage. Of course, for
simple packages like zlib or sqlite3 you have the alternative of
including them with your code). If good C libraries were available
in HP, bindings would flourish.

Maurício