[Haskell-cafe] Haskell used for data analysis - OLAP?

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Thu Jul 9 19:12:01 EDT 2009

Hi,

I've developed this commercial app in Haskell with all of the business
logic coded in SQL with the help of haskelldb. Some of the intermediate
results (of queries) I had to manifest in extra tables because the initial
query was expensive, the intermediate result would be the "source" data of
other queries and queries can't themselves be indexed for further
efficient querying. Since the amount of data could become rather large,
in-memory processing wasn't an option and I thus chose SQL (Sqlite).

The solution works, but still I'm not quite happy about it, since I
consider the tables that hold intermediate results fixes.

I understand that the financial industry employs Haskell to analyse large
data set under complex schemes. I wonder what techniques are employed for
that, do they use Haskell to create some sort of OLAPish tools? Do they
use Haskell to run complex queries against SQL data warehouses?

Günther