[Haskell-cafe] Leaner Haskell.org frontpage

haskell at kudling.de haskell at kudling.de
Thu Jul 9 11:53:01 EDT 2009

I never said we should only expose 7 links.

Take for example the task "Find out more about this Haskell i heared about".

You would need to scan the right half of the front page and you need to scan the left part of the page. There you need to scan "About", it could be explained under "Why use Haskell?" or "Language definition" or "Haskell in 5 steps" or "Learning Haskell" or "Wiki articles" or "Blog articles and news".

Where should i look? I have to scan a lot of text, i have to keep a lot of options in mind and for my taste the load is too much. Be my limit 7 or 20 links.

haskell at kudling.de wrote:
> Most people feel overwhelmed when confronted with more than 7+-2 items:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/10/09/30-usability-issues-to-be-aware-of/

This refers to the number of items/things people can remember in their
short-time memory. This has nothing to do with the maximum number of
menu items you should use. There is of course a limit, but there is no
reason to limit it to 7+-2.

Jochem Berndsen | jochem at functor.nl
GPG: 0xE6FABFAB