[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Platform on Ubuntu

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Wed Jul 8 07:42:53 EDT 2009

Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto wrote:

> One problem I see is the binary-only distribution of packages.

Well Debian does have source packages as well, thats what they build
the binaries from :-).

> The automation process would have to run through hackageDB tracking
> dependencies and compiling each needed library.

On Debian, haskell libraries can be build from the same <pkgname>.cabal
files that Hackage uses. There is no need to read anything from the
HackageDB.

> Pretty hard stuff...

The fact that the Ocaml people can do means that it definitely
possible, and Ocaml upstream libraries don't ship with anything
near as useful as the .cabal files in Haskell packages.

Erik