[Haskell-cafe] simple state monad exercises? (besides labeling trees)

Lanny Ripple lanny at cisco.com
Mon Jul 6 19:42:08 EDT 2009

Off the top of my head state is important when getting from A to B
depends on the path you took.  As such a common scenario I find
myself in all the time is not having a good CLI craps game.  (And
which I resolve by rewriting in every language I learn.)  Stake,
current bet, bets outstanding, point.  Lots of state.  Also user
interaction, varying output, error conditions, etc. depending on how
complex you want.

A much simpler problem is to model some large number of throws using
different play strategies.  Removes all the icky user interaction.

Alternately you can just abuse toy problems.

  import Control.Monad.State

  fac n = execState (facs n) 1

  facs n = do
    y <- get