[Haskell-cafe] ANN: AC-Vector, AC-Colour and AC-EasyRaster-GTK

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 4 15:54:36 EDT 2009

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Andrew Coppin wrote:
>> Well, no, because now I'm going to have to spend a few hours trying
>> to find out what CIE is before I can even use that library.
>>
>> I think really it's just aimed at a different problem. It looks like
>> it's trying to specify actual real-world colours. [It's news to me
>> that this isn't fundamentally impossible...] I'm only trying to
>> specify colours on a computer screen. And as we all know, computer
>> screens aren't calibrated in any way, and the same RGB value looks
>> different on each display. But then, I'm only trying to write a
>> fractal generator, so CIE specifications are somewhat overkill here. ;-)
> Your display may not be calibrated, but those used for graphic design
> certainly are.

Indeed. And if you're in any kind of position where you *care* about
such things, you should be using color, not AC-Colour. If, however, you
just want to throw together pretty pictures, AC-Colour is simpler and
easier. Different libraries for slightly different tasks. ;-)

> On the package naming front: I appreciate your wish to avoid just
> having another "colour" library.  But "AC_Colour" doesn't help much.
> "Simple_colour" might be better.

Mmm, yeah. Naming everything with "AC" precludes name clashes and
doesn't require too much thinking. Coming up with a better name requires
thinking about what actually makes your package unique. And, of course,
if another package comes along, that analysis may change. (E.g., I seem
to recall there's a "newbinary" package which has actually been long
since superceeded - so not so "new" any more!) If I name my package
simple-colour, and then somebody else makes an even simpler one... the
name becomes kind of meaningless. (Admitedly there's not too much danger
of this happening...)

I just like the idea of having definitely unique, distinctive package
names. Otherwise I'd have to come up with stuff like geovector and
trivicolour and so on... Arguably EasyRaster-GTK should have been a
sufficiently unique name by itself though.