[Haskell-cafe] ANN: AC-Vector, AC-Colour and AC-EasyRaster-GTK

Max Rabkin max.rabkin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 15:01:53 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Andrew
Coppin<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> A few reasons:
>
> 1. I never knew it existed. ;-)

A good reason. However, it's good to do a quick search over Hackage
before uploading (or before writing) so you know what's out there.

Also, if you hadn't used an "AC-" prefix, you'd have had a name
collision. Is there a particular reason why you want your name in the
package name rather than just the author field?

> 2. It's mind-blowingly complex.

Colour *is* complex. Which is why I'm so glad Russell O'Connor did all
the hard work for me :)

> 3. It doesn't appear to provide arithmetic over colours.

It provides darken, blend and addition (though addition is called
mappend rather than (+)). signum, abs and fromInteger don't make a
huge amount of sense for colours.

> 4. It's parameterised over the component type; my library is hard-coded to
> specific types for speed.

My feeling would be to trust the specializer until it lets me down.
Has it let you down in the past?

BTW, the EasyRaster package looks useful.

--Max