[Haskell-cafe] Cabal fun [Half-integer]

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 4 04:24:08 EDT 2009

Antoine Latter wrote:
> Personally, I've never used "runhaskell Setup sdist" and I've only
> ever used "cabal sdist". But I'm not sure where I learned that.
> I think cabal-install is a pretty standard util for people to have,
> and it ships with the Haskell platform now. So the big hurdle is
> documentation.
> Andrew - where does it state that "Setup sdist" is the recommended way
> of doing this? If it's a wiki you could go and edit it yourself.

Start from the Hackage homepage:

Click on "how to create a Haskell package", takes you to

Section shows you how to create a tarball - using setup sdist
rather than cabal sdist. Indeed, I don't think cabal-install is
mentioned anywhere.

If people seriously want this to become the preferred way to do things,
it needs to be much more prominently documented.