[Haskell-cafe] Cont, ContT and IO()

Tim Wawrzynczak inforichland at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 19:36:27 EDT 2009

Well, continuations come from Scheme, and by and large, they are usually
used in languages like Scheme (i.e. PLT web server), or Smalltalk (Seaside
web server), but they can be very useful in e.g. cases like yours for making
a convenient way to make a local exit.  I did this in one toy game program
of mine.  The code looks (somewhat) like this:

run :: GameState ()
run = (`runContT` id) $ do
    throwaway <- callCC $ \exit -> forever $ do
        -- retrieve the current state
    -- get user input, etc...
   case input of
     "quit" -> exit $ return ()

in this case, when the user enters "quit" the captured continuation is
restored and the value '()' is returned from callCC and assigned to
'throwAway' in this case.

Of course, this is only one use case of continuations, a very powerful
abstraction mechanism :)

Cheers.