[Haskell-cafe] How to present the commonness of some objects?

Ross Mellgren rmm-haskell at z.odi.ac
Fri Jul 3 12:38:51 EDT 2009

Wordy (and yet technically accurate) names aside, isn't this basically
the same thing, except that you must pass the dictionary around by hand?

What is the advantage of doing the dictionary passing manually, other
than being able to avoid the scoping issue (that requires case) and
the slightly odd syntax?

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I'm just curious on your
opinion.

To expand your example, would you suggest something like:

data Widget = Widget { widgetRun :: IO () }

data Label = Label (String -> IO ())
data Button = Button (IO ())

labelToWidget = Widget runLabel
buttonToWidget = Widget runButton

widgetList :: [(Integer, Integer, Widget)]
widgetList = [labelToWidget myLabel, buttonToWidget myButton]

?

Regarding downcasting, you'd have to use Data.Dynamic or Data.Typeable
right?

-Ross