[Haskell-cafe] Monad Input/Output and Monad Transformers

Richard Kelsall r.kelsall at millstream.com
Fri Jul 3 11:12:30 EDT 2009

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> " Ultimately, the problem with Haskell and ML for our purposes is that
> the brightest and most aggressive programmers in those languages,
> using the most aggressive optimization techniques known to the
> research community, remain unable to write systems codes that compete
> reasonably with C or C++. The most successful attempt to date is
> probably the FoxNet TCP/IP protocol stack, which incurred a 10x
> increase in system load and a 40x penalty in accessing external memory
> relative to a conventional (and less aggressively optimized) C
> implemenation. [ 4 ,6  ]"
>
> http://www.bitc-lang.org/docs/bitc/bitc-origins.html

Interesting paper.

Putting these remarks in context, in case anyone takes them as a current
critique of Haskell, they are apparently about ten years out-of-date and
apply to this SML program

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fox/foxnet.html

I wonder what would happen if the program was ported and benchmarked
in a recent version of GHC.

Richard.