[Haskell-cafe] A Strict GCL Interpreter in Haskell

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Thu Jul 2 13:54:06 EDT 2009

Am Donnerstag 02 Juli 2009 18:35:17 schrieb Hector Guilarte:
> Hi everyone!
>
> (First of all, I don't know Monads!)
>
> I made a GCL (Guarded Command Language) Compiler and Interpreter for my
> Languages and Machines course in my University with alex, happy and ghc. I
> still have a doubt:
>
> 1) Since Haskell is Lazy, and my GCL program is being interpreted in
> Haskell then my GCL is Lazy too (I know is not as simple as that but
> believe me, somehow it is behaving lazy). The problem is that it can't be
> lazy (said to me by my teacher on monday) so I tried using seq, but it
> didn't work, I'll paste the code after this:
> Programs in GCL like:
> a)
> var i : value
> main
>     i <- 1 / 0
> end
>
> b)
> var i : value
> main
>     i <- 1 / 0;
>     show i
> end
>
> c)
> var i : value
> var foo : array of 2
> main
>     i <- foo[42]
> end
>
> d)
> var i : value
> var foo : array of 2
> main
>     i <- foo[42];
>     show i
> end
>
> act like this:
> a and c finish interpretation
> b throws division by zero error and finish interpretation
> d throws index out of bounds error and finish interpretation

Sorry, I don't quite get that. Do you mean that in your interpreter a) and c) run to
completion without raising an error, although they should raise an error and terminate
upon that?
And b) and d) raise their respective error as they should?
Or what is the expected behaviour and what is the actual behaviour?