[Haskell-cafe] Re: Monoid wants a (++) equivalent

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 12:45:52 EDT 2009

Ketil Malde <ketil <at> malde.org> writes:

> You know, this might be the right time to start expanding our
> vocabulary beyond seven bits.  Since we're likely to keep mappend
> around as an alias for some time, people would have a grace period to
> adjust.
>
> How about U+2295 (circle with plus inside it)?
>
> Or, if we would like to stick to the 8-bit subset to keep those 8859-1
> users happy, how about ¤ (funny circle over an x, U+00A4)
>
> -k

I can work with any symbols as long as they are easily typeable. ++ is 3 easy
key press. `mappend` is 9. In both cases I don't need to look on keyboard as I
know exactly where they are. However there is no way I can remember where U+00A4
is - probably it is not on all keyboards (reversing " and @ gives me a lot of
problems in UK keyboards. FR keyboards was nightmare just because a few keys
where at different place). In fact I'd need to open keyboard mapping and search
for symbol. A lot of trouble just for single symbol.

To summarise - It doesn't matter is symbol is or isn't in ASCII or ISO 8859-1 as
long as it can be produced easily.

Regards