[Haskell-cafe] Monoid wants a (++) equivalent

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed Jul 1 13:55:39 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>wrote:

> I agree, if we can't use ++ then <> is the next best thing.

Okay, here's a tentative plan that will help to figure out the answer. I'll
build a fiddled base package that rewires the Monoid class to have (++) be
the binary operator, and mappend as a synonym for it. I'll import the Monoid
(++) into the Prelude. I'll see how much breaks. If that much builds
smoothly, I'll see how much of the rest of Hackage builds, both with and
without this custom base package. I'll follow up here with the results,
along with a suggestion of how acceptable I think the observed level of
breakage is.

Seem reasonable?