[Haskell-cafe] Monoid wants a (++) equivalent

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:17:14 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Jules Bean <jules at jellybean.co.uk> wrote:

> Duncan Coutts wrote:
>
>> I agree, if we can't use ++ then <> is the next best thing. As John says
>> it's already a monoid operator for Data.Sequence and Text.PrettyPrint.
>>

> I agree, if we can't use +> and <+ then <> is the next best thing.
>
> ;)
>
> Jules

I like this thinking as well.  I kind of wish Haskell didn't overload
operators to begin with but oh well :-)

Just because the compiler can figure out what I mean because it has a great
type system, I might not be able to figure out what I mean a year from now
if I see ++ everywhere.

In some sense, I prefer misleading function names to overly overloaded
operators.

Dave