[Haskell-cafe] ANN: diagrams 0.2

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Jan 31 23:16:21 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 03:43:35AM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> Brent Yorgey schrieb:
> > I am very pleased to announce the 0.2 release of the diagrams package,
> > an embedded domain-specific language for creating simple graphics in a
> > compositional style.  This release includes a number of significant
> > new features, including:
> >
> >   * support for arbitrary straight and curved paths
> >   * more shape primitives, including polygons and rounded rectangles
> >   * support for rendering text
> >   * PNG, PDF, PS, and SVG output
> >   * built-in color support replaced with external dependence
> >     on the feature-rich colour library
> >
> > and many more!
>
> Maybe this can become an alternative to HPDF?

Well, they have very different goals, I think.  Certainly there are
some things you can do with HPDF that you can do with diagrams as
well, but diagrams will never have all the PDF-specific features that
HPDF has.  If you want to make a diagram, illustration, logo, or
something of that sort, and it's convenient to have it in PDF format,
use diagrams.  If you actually want to create a PDF document, with
text layout, multiple pages, hyperlinks, annotations, etc., use HPDF;
diagrams will never have those features.

-Brent