[Haskell-cafe] 1,000 packages, so let's build a few!

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 19:45:43 EST 2009

From: "Don Stewart" <dons at galois.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:35 PM
To: "Andrew Coppin" <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>
Cc: <haskell-cafe at haskell.org>
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] 1,000 packages, so let's build a few!

> andrewcoppin:
>> In celebration of Hackage reachin over 1,000 unique packages, I decided
>> that I would re-visit the problem of attempting to build them on Windows.
>>
>> Ah yes, I already have the tarball for stream-fusion-0.1.1, but I see
>> that the latest release is 0.1.2.1. (Unfortunately, there doesn't appear
>> to be any way to determine what the difference is between the two
>> versions...)
>
> the true way to install all of hackage is:
>
>    cabal install $(all my packages)
>
> where cabal install solves it all.

If that had actually worked it would be great.... I must say that my own
not-so-random sampling (basically "ooh that looks cool, let's try it") is
probably at a 20% success rate or so... It's great when it does work, but it
usually doesn't.

Usually it fails because some part of it tries to run unix shell scripts
(and I try to avoid things which seem like they're unix only, even though
they're no easy way of determining this, so these are packages that at least
to me seemed like they could be perfectly portable if not for unix-specific
installation procedures).