[Haskell-cafe] 1,000 packages, so let's build a few!

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 16:58:52 EST 2009

> the true way to install all of hackage is:
>
>    cabal install $(all my packages)
>
> where cabal install solves it all.

not really :) e.g. my output on a Windows Vista system with GHC 6.10.1

cabal install sdl
Resolving dependencies...
Downloading SDL-0.5.4...
[1 of 1] Compiling Main             (
C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\TMPSDL-0.5.4\SDL-0.5.4\Setup.lhs,
C:\Users\Peter
\AppData\Local\Temp\TMPSDL-0.5.4\SDL-0.5.4\dist\setup\Main.o )

C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\TMPSDL-0.5.4\SDL-0.5.4\Setup.lhs:2:2:
    Warning: In the use of `defaultUserHooks'
             (imported from Distribution.Simple):
             Deprecated: "Use simpleUserHooks or autoconfUserHooks, unless
you need Cabal-1.2
             compatibility in which case you must stick with
defaultUserHooks"
Linking
C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\TMPSDL-0.5.4\SDL-0.5.4\dist\setup\setup.exe
Warning: defaultUserHooks in Setup script is deprecated.
Configuring SDL-0.5.4...
setup.exe: sh: runGenProcess: does not exist (No such file or directory)
SDL-0.5.4 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
exit: ExitFailure 1

To build this I guess I would have to install MinGW and MSYS (which is
already insanely hard to unzip all the latest development stuff in the right
places and configure it correctly, especially for a windows user), and then
do all kinds of tricky things that are obvious for unix people but alien for
dummy windows users like me :)

Anyway, support for Windows users gets better each year, which is great!