[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why binding to existing widget toolkits doesn't make any sense

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sat Jan 31 14:30:21 EST 2009

> When I said Cairo felt rather slow, I was comparing it again fully hardware
> accelerated solutions.
> ..
> IMO the future is fully hardware accelerated rendering on the GPU, like OpenVG.
> It will take a while before it is common to see glyphs being rendered on the
> GPU, but I'm sure this is all doable.

There seem to be some older references to an OpenGL backend for Cairo

aiming for hardware acceleration. There doesn't seem to be anything
newer than 2006, though, which is puzzling, as the OpenGL backend
is still advertized - is it still supported?

A common standard would be useful, but OpenVG doesn't look
like "ready soon". On the declarative side, there's also SVG..