[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why binding to existing widget toolkits doesn't make any sense

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri Jan 30 19:48:12 EST 2009

Antony Courtney <antony.courtney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pretty clear how to build a 2-D Scenegraph library
> like Piccolo on top of Java2D or Quartz or GDI+; much less clear to me
> how to build something like that directly on top of XRender.

I intended the scene graph to be implemented piece-wise inside, and in
terms of, the widgets and merely render with Xrender, something else,
or a combination and/or choice of those. Bounding boxes follow directly
from the structure of the layout, there's no need to calculate them...
a similar argument holds for arbitrary intersections: Widgets just
don't overlap.

All that stuff fits better into a project like fieldtrip, which of
course would be cool to have as a rendering backend. An irc client
doesn't even begin to need the same -- compositional -- graphics
abilities as say inkscape, it just needs to be able to render stuff
next to and over other stuff.

To make things even more explicit, the TK should be able to render with
ncurses, as long as you don't do any custom paint jobs that you didn't
care to implement for ncurses... A 3d modeller implemented with
ncurses, software GL and aalib? I guess I'm drifting off.