[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why binding to existing widget toolkits doesn't make any sense

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 12:24:46 EST 2009

2009/1/30 Rick R <rick.richardson at gmail.com>

> I haven't really thought about GUIs much in the last decade, but if one
> were to embark on such an endeavor, I think an appropriate starting point
> would be SDL with OpenGL.
>
> There would be no very little API structure to hinder the pure functional
> approach, and it would be portable to a wide variety of platforms. SDL
> includes support Linux/Win/OSX and now the iPhone. Also you'd have
> unofficial support for another few platforms.
>
> The 1st step would be to build a vector graphics lib for Haskell on OpenGL,
> but after that, perhaps much of Fruit could be fitted in. (Just a WAG, never
> heard of the API before now)

Well, I've started something like that:
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/graphics-drawingcombinators.
There are some issues with that library: the semantics are not
*quite*right, and its internals are complicated and not easily
modified.  I want to
try again at some point.

However, I think before the 1st step, the SDL bindings ought to be easily
installable and usable on Windows -- not first assuming Just The Right
Setup.

Luke