[Haskell-cafe] How outdated is Hugs?

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 17:21:42 EST 2009

On 29 Jan 2009, at 20:49, Ross Paterson wrote:

> Hugs uses cpphs, but it has to build a dozen packages (including
> Cabal)
> before cpphs is available.  Once it is, they're built again.

That strikes me as odd.  The cpphs implementation deliberately has
minimal dependencies - Haskell'98 libraries only, and no internal cpp
(rather obviously).  It should be possible to build cpphs first,
before any package.

(Actually, the latter statement may no longer be completely true - I
think I see an import System.IO.Unsafe in there.  If so, then it is a
regression, and one that I should fix.)

Regards,
     Malcolm