[Haskell-cafe] hmatrix, Windows and GCC

allan a.d.clark at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 04:57:10 EST 2009

Hi

The INSTALL file in the hmatrix repository has some very clear instructions for installation on Windows.
http://perception.inf.um.es/~aruiz/darcs/hmatrix/INSTALL

However note this section at the bottom:
"Unfortunately the lapack dll supplied by the R system does not include
zgels_, zgelss_, and zgees_, so the functions depending on them
(linearSolveLS, linearSolveSVD, and schur for complex data)
will produce a "non supported in this OS" runtime error."

Of course linearSolve is exactly what you will be wanting so this won't work for you.
I ran into exactly this problem myself. I actually didn't get as far as a run-time error as I got a linker error.

I don't have any solution for you though, sorry.

regards
allan

Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto wrote:

>    Hi all,
>
> I am writing a program that uses hmatrix for solving some linear
> systems. The hmatrix package depends on BLAS, which, in turn, depend on
> GCC 4.2 to be built (at least ATLAS does).
>
> GHC 6.10 for Windows is pre-packaged with GCC 3.4.5, and it leaves me
> with the impression that I would have incompatible ABIs.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) Why GHC 6.10 still uses GCC 3.4.5 in Windows? I know mingw considers
> GCC 4.2 to be alpha, but, lets face it, 4.2 is almost obsolete!
> 2) Is it possible to rebuild GHC 6.10, using Windows and GCC 4.2? Is
> there any guide for doing this?
> 3) Has any of you tried hmatrix on Windows? How did you do it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rafael
>
> --
> Rafael Gustavo da Cunha Pereira Pinto
> Electronic Engineer, MSc.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.