[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Web Framework

Michaeljohn Clement mj at mjclement.com
Tue Jan 27 15:05:27 EST 2009

John A. De Goes wrote:
> The best approach is to push as much functionality into the client as
> possible. The ideal server-side framework consists of nothing more
> than a permissions-based interface to persistence and network services.
> That's it. Everything else is done on the client side, in JavaScript.

+1

This is the conclusion I have come to in building collaborative
Web applications.

I agree that there seems to be a gap here in the Haskell Web
frameworks people are building.

> What this means is that effort is probably best directed at
> Yhc/JavaScript and similar projects, which compile Haskell to
> JavaScript for execution on the client.

I do not believe compiling Haskell to ECMAScript/JavaScript is a
productive avenue.  There is too much pain in trying to abstract
away the JavaScript model only to write everything in Haskell and
end up with worse performance as a reward.

There is very little wrong with ECMAScript if people would only
learn it properly and play to its strengths instead of trying to
turn it into things it is not.

Treating ECMAScript as a compiler target language will be a win
eventually, I expect, but not by compiling from Haskell.  Haskell
could certainly play a role, e.g. as an implementation language
for ES-to-ES or DSL-to-ES compiler writers.

Michael Snoyman wrote:
> That's great in theory, but then you end of with inaccessible web
> sites,

This doesn't have to be true.  You can do quite well today if
you are careful, and ARIA will resolve the remaining issues.

> those without Javascript are left out in the cold,

Yes.  JavaScript is a requirement for the full functionality of
the modern Web.

> and search engines won't index you.

This also isn't true if it's done right.  It's almost always
done wrong, but that's just ignorance and incompetence, not
any inherent limitations of the technology.

Follow correct principles of Web architecture and you can
do fine with search engines, even if you rely on JavaScript
to provide a UI.

--
Michaeljohn Clement