[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ann: Progress with IDE

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 21:35:32 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Duncan Coutts  wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 16:37 -0500, Gwern Branwen wrote:
>
>> I tried using that gtk2hs tarball. make eventually errored out as:
>
>> glib/System/Glib/GObject.chs.pp:38: error: missing expression between
>> '(' and ')'
>> glib/System/Glib/GObject.chs.pp:91: error: missing expression between
>> '(' and ')'
>> make: *** [glib/System/Glib/GObject.chs] Error 1
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> I've seen this occasionally. If you check gtk2hs-confg.h near the bottom
> of the file you'll likely find something like
>
> #def _GLIB_MAJOR_VERSION ()
>
> rather than
>
> #def _GLIB_MAJOR_VERSION (2)
>
> It is ./configure that generates the gtk2hs-confg.h from
> gtk2hs-confg.h.in based on tests in configure.ac. I've never been able
> to reproduce it and when others have helped me investigate we did not
> find a solution or indeed a cause.
>
> If you'd like to do some digging it'd be much appreciated. I'm cc'ing
> the gtk2hs-users list just in case someone else has already diagnosed
> this.
>
> Duncan

Yes, that file does seem broken in the way you describe. Starting at line 132:

/* Glib major version */
#define _GLIB_MAJOR_VERSION ()

/* Glib micro version */
#define _GLIB_MICRO_VERSION ()

/* Glib minor version */
#define _GLIB_MINOR_VERSION ()

/* gnome-vfs major version */
#define _GNOME_VFS_MAJOR_VERSION ()

/* gnome-vfs micro version */
#define _GNOME_VFS_MICRO_VERSION ()

/* gnome-vfs minor version */
#define _GNOME_VFS_MINOR_VERSION ()

/* gstreamer major version */
#define _GST_MAJOR_VERSION ()

/* gstreamer micro version */
#define _GST_MICRO_VERSION ()

/* gstreamer minor version */
#define _GST_MINOR_VERSION ()

/* gtksourceview2 major version */
#define _GTKSOURCEVIEW2_MAJOR_VERSION ()

/* gtksourceview2 micro version */
#define _GTKSOURCEVIEW2_MICRO_VERSION ()

/* gtksourceview2 minor version */
#define _GTKSOURCEVIEW2_MINOR_VERSION ()

/* Gtk+ major version */
#define _GTK_MAJOR_VERSION ()

/* Gtk+ micro version */
#define _GTK_MICRO_VERSION ()

/* Gtk+ minor version */
#define _GTK_MINOR_VERSION ()

/* librsvg major version */
#define _LIBRSVG_MAJOR_VERSION ()

/* librsvg micro version */
#define _LIBRSVG_MICRO_VERSION ()

/* librsvg minor version */
#define _LIBRSVG_MINOR_VERSION ()

/* Pango major version */
#define _PANGO_MAJOR_VERSION ()

/* Pango micro version */
#define _PANGO_MICRO_VERSION ()

/* Pango minor version */
#define _PANGO_MINOR_VERSION ()

That all looks quite broken.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about autotools to figure this out.
However, I've put up a tarball of the gtk directory just after a make
failed, at http://code.haskell.org/~gwern/gtk-broken.tar.gz so people
can look at it themselves?

- --
gwern