[Haskell-cafe] how to implement daemon start and stop directives?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Jan 25 16:04:29 EST 2009

On 2009 Jan 25, at 6:57, Krzysztof Skrzętnicki wrote:
> When you succeed please write about it - I'd love to read about it!
> I was interested in writing a deamon in the past but didn't have
> time for it and a nice tutorial would probably help a lot.

I should mention that the easiest way to write a daemon is to use
inetd/xinetd (or launchd, SMF, etc. as appropriate for OS); you then
only need to deal with stdin/stdout, and you generally get tcp-
wrappers for free instead of having to find/make libwrap bindings.

(Also, if you write yourself a nice daemon library, someone will
probably ask for it to be ported to create Windows services.  Which
gets a big "damfino" from me, at least.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu