[Haskell-cafe] Why monoids will abide...

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 23 03:40:03 EST 2009

On 2009 Jan 22, at 10:09, Andrew Wagner wrote:
> See, that's the kind of name we need!
> StructureWithAssociativeOperationAndIdentity -- make both the
> mathematicians AND the non-mathematicians mad!

"SimpleArithmetic" (you have "numbers" and a single "arithmetic
operation" on them).  You can play similar games with the mathematical
concepts of groups and rings.  (But you get into trouble with magmas
and semigroups.)

In any case, my response to bikeshedding these days is to present a
fait accompli so people can just get stuff done instead of waiting for
many-legs-and-no-brain (otherwise known as a committee) to do
something.  The math terms have at least the advantage of already
being well defined.  Yes, this means you get to learn some abstract
math --- but then, you're going to be faced with that the first time
you encounter (or need!) type-level Peano numbers anyway.  Or fix/mfix
("least defined fixed point").

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu