[Haskell-cafe] Is it possible to model eventually consistent side effects?

Daryoush Mehrtash dmehrtash at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 01:44:11 EST 2009

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to model cloud computing
computations in Haskell.

My specific problems is that in   cloud computing, as in Amazon
WebServices,  side effects (writes to storage,  simple database, queue)
follow the eventually consistent model.  Which means even if your writes
succeeds, it may or may not be immediately available for reads.  Each call
to the services may also temporarily experience network errors or end-system
unavailability.   Virtual machines can mount a local disk that does offers
consistent storage, but the storage wont survive a reboot (after a crash).

I am trying to find out if I can model computation (and its compositions)
where I can hide reliability and consistency issues. And also be able to
reason about a computation to make sure no combination of errors and
inconsistencies would break my logic.

Is it possible?  If so is there a good starting point?

--
Daryoush