[Haskell-cafe] Re: How to make code least strict?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Tue Jan 20 20:08:55 EST 2009

Lovely reformulation, Ryan!

I think lub [4] is sufficient typeclass hackery for unambPatterns:

   unambPatterns == lubs == foldr lub undefined

[4] http://conal.net/blog/posts/merging-partial-values

I think performance is okay now, if you have very recent versions of unamb
*and* GHC head (containing some concurrency bug fixes).  See
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Unamb .  The GHC fix will take a while to get
into common use.

My definitions of zip via (a) 'assuming' & 'unamb' and (b) parAnnihilator
are badly broken.  For one, the unamb arguments are incompatible (since i
didn't check for both non-null args in the third case).  Also, the types
aren't right for parAnnihilator.

I tried out this idea, and it seems to work out very nicely.  See the
brand-new blog post
http://conal.net/blog/posts/lazier-function-definitions-by-merging-partial-values/.
 Blog comments, please!

   - Conal