[Haskell-cafe] Elevator pitch for functional programming

Jim Burton jim at sdf-eu.org
Tue Jan 20 15:55:28 EST 2009

At Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:25:00 -0800,
Dan Weston wrote:

Hi Dan,

> One of the coolest things about Haskell is the ability to refer to
> values not yet calculated, without having to work out the timing yourself.
>
> You want Fibonacci numbers?

Well, I might but they definitely do not :-) We are talking about some
maths-averse people and you would not have got to the final syllable
of 'fibonacci' before all hope was lost. But I am sure there are
plenty of examples that rely on laziness which will communicate. I am
sure I read a blog post or something on c.l.f/c.l.h recently about
lazily sorting a million numbers but can't find it.

Jim