[Haskell-cafe] xhtml + bytestring

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 04:42:37 EST 2009

Hi,
I improved the implementation of concatMap:

concatMap' :: (Word8 -> L.ByteString) -> L.ByteString -> L.ByteString
concatMap' f s = L.unfoldr p x0
    where x0 = (LI.Empty, s)
          p (sf, s) = case L.uncons sf of
              Just (c,sf') -> Just (c, (sf',s))
              Nothing -> case L.uncons s of
                  Nothing -> Nothing
                  Just (c,s') -> p (f c, s')

I did a test that performs something like escaping in the following fashion:
main = putStrLn . show . L.foldr (+) 0 $ concatMap' f xs
    where xs = L.pack $ concat $ replicate 100000 [1..10]
          f 1 = esc
          f x = L.pack [x]
          esc = L.pack [1,2,3,4]
So, every 10th character is escaped.

My version works 4x faster than L.concatMap.
However, if 'f' returns larger strings, it quickly becomes dramatically slower.

So, I'd recommend it for escaping and wouldn't recomment it for anything else.

Евгений Кирпичев
Разработчик Яндекс.Маркета