[Haskell-cafe] Re: How to make code least strict?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Mon Jan 19 17:42:56 EST 2009

I second Ryan's recommendation of using unamb [1,2,3] to give you unbiased
(symmetric) laziness.

The zip definition could also be written as

    zip xs@(x:xs') ys@(y:ys') =
      assuming (xs == []) [] `unamb`
      assuming (ys == []) [] `unamb`
      (x,y) : zip xs' ys'

The 'assuming' function yields a value if a condition is true and otherwise
is bottom:

    assuming :: Bool -> a -> a
    assuming True  a = a
    assuming False _ = undefined

This zip definition is a special case of the annihilator pattern, so

    zip = parAnnihilator (\ (x:xs') (y:ys') -> (x,y) : zip xs' ys') []

where 'parAnnihilator' is defined in Data.Unamb (along with other goodies)
as follows:

    parAnnihilator :: Eq a => (a -> a -> a) -> a -> (a -> a -> a)
    parAnnihilator op ann x y =
      assuming (x == ann) ann `unamb`
      assuming (y == ann) ann `unamb`
      (x `op` y)